You must have administrator rights to access this feature.
You must have a Cartegraph OMS advanced feature extension to access this feature.
Scenarios are used to identify projected activities with their cost and impact based on a defined work approach for any asset type. Access the Scenario Builder to setup, run, and adjust Scenarios to meet identified outcomes such as defined budget limitations or target network OCI (overall condition index).
Scenarios have four parts:
- Scenario: The scenario itself includes both user input fields (scenario settings) and cumulative results information.
- Plan Years: Scenarios can be projected out over multiple years called plan years. The start date and end date for each plan year is set based on the Scenario Start Date. Plan Years may include user input fields (based on scenario type) and includes results information specific to each plan year.
- Activities: Activities are the most granular detail results of the scenario. The Activity List contains all activities recommended for the scenario.
- Protocols: Protocols are the mechanism used to group specific assets in a given scenario for the purpose of recommending activities. Each protocol has a group of triggers which define what activities can be recommended and when each activity should occur. The Scenario Detail defines which protocols are associated to the Scenario.
Key Scenario Settings:
The following are key settings in the creation or setup of a Scenario. The options chosen for the following fields will have the greatest impact on the Scenario results.
These settings work together to determine your scenario results.
- Scenario Type: Determine what the scenario cut off should be. Identify the end goal of your scenario; when that goal is met, the scenario will stop recommending additional activities.
- Sequence Type: Determine how to sequence or order your work. What work is a higher priority? What should be done first?
- Single Activity Recommendation: When more than one activity is recommended for a single asset in a single plan year, utilize this setting to decide which activity is applied to the scenario for that asset in that plan years.
After creating a scenario and adjusting any other Scenario Details as desired, click Run Scenario.
Immediately upon starting to run a scenario, the Run Status updates to Running and the Last Run Start time displays the current date and time. Existing scenario results, if any, are cleared at the beginning of the run. While a scenario is running, the running progress screen displays.
Users are able to leave the screen and work in other parts of the system while the scenario is running. If the user is viewing scenario running progress when the scenario completes, confirmation displays and users can click Close on the screen and return to the Results tab.
If the user is elsewhere in the system when the scenario completes, the screen automatically closes for them. The scenario run status updates to Completed and scenario results are immediately available for review.
While a scenario is running, users are not allowed to edit or delete the scenario, its plan years, or protocol associations. While a scenario is running the user is able to edit assets included in the scenario or edit protocols used by the scenario. At the beginning of the scenario run, the system gathers all necessary asset and protocol data. The Last Run Start field records the date and time a scenario run started. Any asset or protocol edits made after this time is not be reflected in the scenario.
If the Scenario encounters a critical error while running, the scenario status updates to Stopped with Critical Errors. Any results which have been generated up to the point of the critical error are cleared to the extent possible. Last Run Start time is not cleared and continue to reflect the date and time in which the scenario last started. Access the Error Log to review detailed error message and resolve any issues if needed. Run the scenario again to successfully complete the scenario.
While a scenario is running, any user who attempts to View the scenario displays the running progress screen. Any user is able to cancel a running scenario by clicking Cancel; all scenario results clear on cancel.