Before you create a custom, non–ArcGIS online or iPad base map for OMS, please note the following:
- There is no layer control. Cartegraph recommends creating separate map services.
- Scalable layers and symbology are supported.
- The map control only supports the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) coordinate system.
- The map should only consist of items that are not in OMS.
- Annotations might show up a little differently. You will need to experiment to get the best results.
- The map must be accessible from the OMS Web server and the internet if the OMS URL is internet accessible. It must have public access and be unsecured.
Create Custom iPad Base Map
- Open ArcMap and add all layers that you want to see on your map with scales and symbology.
- Right-click on an open space in the map and select data frame properties. Set the coordinate system to be WGS 1984.
- Save the map to a location where the ArcGIS server can access it.
- Select File>Share as>Service.
- Select Create a new service or overwrite an old one if you have an existing service to overwrite.
- Use an existing connection in ArcCatalog to the ArcGIS server for publishing.
- Name the service.
- Publish to any folder on your ArcGIS server you choose.
- Click the Caching tab.
- Use tiles from a cache. We do not support dynamic tiling.
- Use ArcGIS Online/Bing Maps/Google Maps for the tiling scheme.
- Change levels of detail if you want to, but the tiling scheme must stay at ArcGIS Online/Bing Maps/Google Maps.
You cannot go into Advanced and add/remove levels.
You only need to cache the levels needed.
- Click Analyze to see if there are any errors. You will see warnings regarding the data not being in the same coordinate system as the data frame and others like that, but they can be ignored.
- If there are no errors, then click Publish.
- Select OMS>Administrator>Base Map Administration and set up the new map.