We are working with an increasing number of organizations to deploy their asset and work management software solutions in the cloud instead of on-premise. In fact, 80% of our customers today are in the Cartegraph cloud powered by AWS, compared to 50% just a few years ago.
Here are some of the primary forces I see behind the move to cloud-based asset management software:
- The rapid shift to a work-from-home model during the COVID-19 pandemic has shed light on the need for secure, but efficient access to the systems we all rely on for our daily operations. This is especially true for state and local governments as they work to deliver critical services to their residents.
- Between cyberattacks and natural disasters, organizations are looking to build an extra layer of security and peace of mind. They're recognizing the need to implement flexible and scalable solutions now to prepare for the next inevitable emergency.
- IT infrastructure in local government and higher education is aging (just like our physical infrastructure) and it is becoming more challenging to stay up to date with software upgrades on all the systems we use on a daily basis.
In connecting with the cities, counties, universities, and utilities that chose the Cartegraph cloud instead of configuring an on-premise deployment, we continue to hear these themes as the top 5 benefits:
- Cost: IDC estimates that AWS customers have a 31% lower cost of operations over five years compared to running on-premise infrastructure. With cloud-based software, you avoid the up-front costs to buy and deploy on-premise infrastructure, while also reducing ongoing costs associated with running IT environments.
- Staffing: Whether you have a large IT staff or contract out your IT services, a cloud deployment reduces resource strain. We take care of the upgrades and maintenance, so you don’t have to overburden your already-busy tech professionals or hire more staff to keep up.
- Security: This topic is coming up more frequently than ever before. Whether you’re concerned about your IT infrastructure being damaged in a disaster or want to ensure that your data is protected from attacks, we’ve got your back. Cartegraph follows a meticulous set of protocols to protect your data while making sure it’s available for your authorized users. In addition to 24/7 monitoring, testing, and implementing the latest security patches, we have full and incremental backups so we can restore your database if something goes wrong. Most importantly, in the event of a serious issue or disaster, we will assess the issue, dedicate our resources to resolve it, and provide you with regular updates along the way.
- Convenience: With a cloud deployment, your organization has no hardware requirements or on-site equipment to purchase, manage, and maintain. Your data is readily available wherever you are, so all you have to worry about it getting your job done.
- Upgrades: Cloud customers stay up to date on the latest and greatest features in the software, without having to bug anyone in their organization to make it happen. All upgrades for Cartegraph cloud deployments happen outside of business hours so you don’t have to worry about disruptions for your team. You simply receive an email notifying you when an upgrade will occur, and see the update in Cartegraph as soon as it has been completed. Pretty neat, huh?
Want to discuss your hosting needs in further detail? Reach out to email@example.com and let’s connect.