Skip to main content
Answers to Your Top 5 Material Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Why can’t I use my material on a task?
- If the material is a stock item, make sure you have enough on hand. Quantity can be found next to the material ID on the resource entry screen.
- If the material is a non-stock item, make sure the units are the same or similar on the primary vendor price quote and in the default usage quantity field. For example, the price quote and default value unit is tons, but you can also use a similar unit like pounds.
Why is the default usage quantity important?
- The default usage quantity is used for several actions: stocking in materials, pulling information from the primary vendor price quote, and adding the material to the task. Because it is used in so many crucial places, it is important to fill in this field when adding new materials to Cartegraph.
Why can’t I switch a material record from a stock item to a non-stock item or vice versa?
- Once a material is created and has log items (task usages) associated with it, you can no longer change the check box for stock/non-stock item. In most cases, it is advisable to retire the existing material and re-create it as the desired item type.
Why is there no cost associated with the material when I add it to the task?
- If your material is marked as a stock item, be sure to check the ‘stocked’ transactions. The price will pull directly from stock transactions, so it is likely that it was stocked in at a price of $0.
- If your material is marked as non-stock, check that you have a primary vendor price quote and that the price is set appropriately for the quote. If there is no quote, the price needs to be manually entered on each transaction for that material. If you select a different vendor with a valid price quote, the price per unit will update.
How do I retire a material?
- When you are no longer using a material, you can drop it from the material lookup list. Each material has a check box labeled 'inactive.' When you are ready to dismiss the material from the list, check the inactive box and save the material record. Note: Only administrators or users with a custom layout can make this change.