A Facilities Condition Assessment (FCA) is an important tool for Facilities Managers. Typically contracted out to an outside engineering firm, an FCA team will use industry standard processes to evaluate all the major systems in a collection of facilities and determine their remaining useful life and describe any repair or replacement tasks that will need to be undertaken in the next few years.
Deliverables from an FCA will typically include:
- An asset inventory of all assessed assets along with value and remaining useful life estimates.
- A list of necessary repair or replacement tasks for each asset with anticipated costs.
- An investment plan that prioritizes and sequences capital and operational expenditures for the time period covered by the plan.
- Optionally, the FCA vendor can also create preventative maintenance plans for your business-critical assets.
- A calculated Facility Condition Index (FCI) for each facility. The Facility Condition Index is calculated as the sum of all deferred maintenance divided by the overall value of the facility. The FCI can be a useful way to compare and contrast the relative health of individual facilities across your portfolio.
There are many advantages to this approach:
- An FCA can provide new and updated asset inventory data for all your most important assets.
- FCA differed maintenance can be loaded directly into actionable tasks in Cartegraph.
- As you complete work against assets with our mobile app Cartegraph ONE, their condition will be automatically updated in Cartegraph. This change in condition and remaining useful life will automatically flow up to the Facilities Condition Index and allow the budget forecasts you create with Cartegraph Scenario Builder to be continually updated with current and accurate asset conditions.
By incorporating Cartegraph into your FCA business process, Cartegraph becomes your comprehensive facilities operations platform for all your assets, indoors, outdoors, above or below ground. But don’t just take our word for it, hear it from our customers:
"The Cartegraph staff helped us tailor the software to meet the demands of our extensive software requirements. The team also provided a clear plan to meet the project objectives and our business goals," said John Cox, facilities information section manager at the North Carolina Department of Administration.
Want to learn more? Please see our webinar with APPA related to Facilities Condition Assessment and Capital Planning or reach out for a further discussion.