This is the third episode of our Facility Management Minutes series. In these videos, we discuss facility management career paths, the development of CAD and BIM standards, facility lifecycles, facilities management software, GIS, total cost of ownership (TCO), the future of the facility management industry, and more.
Our third guest in this series is Jack Dempsey, Director at Definitive Logic and one of the lead authors of ISO 5000. Jack began his career in the U.S. Coast Guard where he was responsible for asset management and strategic change management for a broad portfolio of bases. At the coast guard, Jack developed a deep appreciation of the challenges of the long-term planning processes necessary to sustain operational readiness along a vast stretch of coastline.
For the past dozen years or so, Jack has worked in the private sector as a consultant and has worked with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) developing and expanding standards such as ISO 55000 for asset management. He has also served as vice-chair of the Committee on Strategy to Renew Federal Facilities as part of the National Academy of Sciences. You may also recognize Jack's name from some helpful articles he has written about what it takes to implement successful asset management programs.
Watch the full episode to learn about:
- Mission Dependency Index & Asset Management
- Managing Assets vs. Asset Management
- Standards-Based Approaches in the United States
- Asset Management Technology Patterns and Trends
- Aggregating Information Sources to Make Better Decisions
- Decision Making: People & Processes vs. Technology
- Approaching Problems: Engineers vs. Economists